Saturday, March 26, 2011

MARCH 25, 2011 ~ WILD RUMPUS * BLVD. TAVERN (charleston, wv)

Hometown: Fayetteville, WV
Genres: Folk / Stompgrass / Punkgrass
Label: Mudbone Records
Members: Andrew Adkins,Mando,Vox
Allan Sizemore, Guitjo,Harmonica,Vox
Dr. Sneed, Guitar, Reso
Clint Lewis, Doghouse Bass
Mix the downhome lyrical stylings of Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, and Guy Clark, spice it up with some Uncle Tupelo and you've got The Wild Rumpus. Singer/songwriter, Andrew Adkins, tells his tales with deep-lunged gusto while backed by Charlie Garvin's pseudo-bluegrass guitar, Allan Sizemore's Carolina inspired banjo, and Dr. Sneed's resonator stylings and Clint Lewis holding the rock-solid foundation on bass. The whole album has a bouncy, almost live feel about it. The group's debut album consists of primarily upbeat rhythms tempered with haunting ballads like "Ghost Town" and "For Grandpa". The final two tracks "Lost & Found", and "Don't Mess Around (Mama Said)" have an entirely different feel to them. The former speaks of the hardships of the dust bowl era with a driving, downbeat rhythm and the latter is a percussive call-and-repeat accented by heavy foot stomping and a bluesy guitar and harmonica duel. The album manages to capture the raw sound of live acoustic instruments while at the same time providing a rugged vehicle for Adkins stories of, well, love, trains, and home.

I have heard Allens originals, Andrews originals, Jonathan crazy geetar skillz and last nite in Charleston at the Blvd. Tavern I met the 4th. Rump Clint Lewis. I couldn't have imagined with what little 'tid bit's' of flavor I've gotten so far what the main course was gonna taste like, until last nite. Boys let me tell you what.... it was soooo worth the wait! When I first walked into the Blvd. Tavern I immediately took notice to that beautiful stand up Bass on stage along w/ a Banjo and a custom Mandolin. Which by the way Andrew Adkins made himself with Oak wood and walnut smashed into that wood that produced a beautiful tiger stripe like finish along with alittle skull on the front. Which is Andrew's signature... I loved it and the story behind it. Rumpus started playing and right from the damn get go the floor was full with peeps diggin' it and getting their 'Stomp on'. I was curious as to what this Stompgrass sound was.. immediately I phuckin' got, immediately I phuckin' loved it! Wild Rumpus did some Dylan, alittle Blues, Rolling in my sweet babies arm, Allman Bros even threw in a love song. Between Andrews 'bouncy' personality & bare feet on stage (You have no idea what that does to me) ... Ouy! and interaction with the audience and his vocals to Allens 'Big Sexy' persence and mountain man voice to Sneeds amazing phuckin' guitar skills to Lewis bangin' & poppin of dat Big beautiful Bass the nite was full of wonderful music to this chica's ears... I am a FAN and I will come back fo sum mo! If you've never been to the Blvd. Tavern in Charleston, wv I suggest you go always a good time, friendly & efficient wait staff , good food and cold beer. Ya might even get the treat of hearin'  Dave play his famous Washboard. ~ smile.

p.s As I was leaving (and damn I so wish I could have stayed) I heard a Chica brag to someone beside her and I quote ~ " You know they're playing for MY wedding".. snicker, snicker. Dude beside her says..... WOW! ~ I had a HUGE smile on my face as I walked out the door. :)

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150124867934658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150124738924658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150124736114658&comments

No comments:

Post a Comment