Sunday, March 27, 2011

MARCH 26, 2011 ~ JACABONE * SCOTTSVILLE, VA

Jacabone blends Funk, New Orleans Groove, R&B and Blues into a mix designed to get everyone up and dancing.
Jacabone is an evolving conglomeration of experienced musicians from the Charlottesville area lead by Fritz Berry, (Lead Vocals and Harmonica)
Fritz (lead Vocals and Harmonica) - Fritz has been playing blues harmonica for over 20 years. During the 80's and 90's, he was a member of Echoes Farm, a touring band that traveled the East Coast. Through their travels they shared the stage with a number of different bands including Little Feat, Phish, Bob Margolin and Taj Mahal. Prior to the inception of Jacabone, he had been playing in a number of different projects: Bues Farm, Indiscretion (with members of Indecision) and Swing Piggy (with members of Savoy Truffle and Echoes Farm).

Other Members:

J.D. (Bass, Vocals) - J.D. started playing in bar bands at 16. Since then, he's played guitar and bass with groups ranging from Texas folk to indie rawk. These days, he plays bass for a number of gigging local bands.

Drex Weaver (Drums) - Drex has been performing profesionally since 1987 and plays a wide variety of styles. It is his versatility, energy and style that makes him an in demand performer. A graduate of the prestigious Berklee College of Music, Drex is a well rounded performer and composer. Throughout his career, Drex has played with world class musicians and strong, creative, powerful players. These include, internationally acclaimed jazz musicians, Hod O'Brien, Royce Campbell, John Dearth, Yasuhito Mori and Mike Hawkins. Rock and pop artists such as Dave Matthews, The Boyd Tinsley Band, LeRoi Moore, Matt Nathanson, All Mighty Senators, Geoff Tyson, Matt Fish and Clare Quilty have also employed him for his skills. On the international music scene in the US, Drex has worked in styles from Africa to Brazil with artist such as Mir Ali, Humberto and Madeline Sales, Darrell Rose and Baaba Seth.

Brian Chenault (Guitar, Vocals) - Brian has shared stages with: REO Speedwagon, Edwin McCain, Jonathan Richman, Evan Dando, Butch Taylor of Dave Matthews Band, Darren Jesse of Ben Folds Five, Jimmie's Chicken Shack, Ingram Hill, Marcus Roberts, Chris Barron of Spin Doctors, Pat McGee Band, Ryan Montbleau, David Mead, Everything, Jupiter Coyote, Earth to Andy, Peter Searcy, Andrew Winn of Agents of Good Roots.
"unique, towering guitar solos"
- City Beat, Cincinnati, OH
"Brian is no doubt a world class guitarist and his stratospheric solos are something to behold"
- Matt Mayes of Jupiter Coyote

Ian Lawler (Guitar, Vocals)- Ian has been playing guitar for 16 years. In that time, he has toured and recorded with several different groups and artists. He has shared stages with Herbie Hancock, Chaka Khan, Joshua Redman, Dr. John, and Arrested Development, and appears on Arrested Development's Among the Trees album, as well as Grammy-winning artist Speech's Vagabond and Speech's Best. Since moving to Charlottesville 3 years ago, Ian has played with many local artists, including Robert Jospe, Bobby Read, Heather Maxwell, Mariana Bell, Matt Horn, The Pollocks, Sierra, Bootsie Daniels, and Matt Wilner. Ian recently won the 106.1 The Corner theme song contest with his song, Up on the Corner.
I started & ended my evening with Jacabone in Scottsville, Va. A small town that after a long winding road to get there was quite pleasing once there. 330 Valley Street is a bar on one side with a restaurant on the other. I ventured into the restaurant first Jacabone was already playing as I could hear them thru the only thing between us was a wall. I quickly ordered a Pint accompanied with a very nice plating of Tuna. The Pint was perfect the tuna even better. The music I was hearing was calling my name Rolling Stones was in the background performed by Jacabone. I knew right then and there I had to get over there and quickly place myself up front so I could video. Jacabone spit out several favorites of which are but not limited to Bill Withers (Use me up), Shakey Ground, T for Texas (Skynrd), Allman Bros. (One way out), Bob Marley (I shot the sheriff), Steve Miller ( the joker), Superstition along with a host of others. I am feeling this band along with every one else in joint. I say joint but 330 Valley Street has just been redone and I must say I LOVED it. Chris my new fb friend & bartender is exceptionally friendly and he immediately made me feel right at home.
Fritz Berry on harp is smooth like butta...his vocals remind me of Greg Allman with a touch of B.B king sprinkled with alittle Marley. I like.
Ian Gilliam's vocals & guitar playing skills are just SIK... makes you stand up and pay attention.. I paid attention. :)
Rounding out the sound was Drex on kit with JD bangin' & poppin dat bass to bring it on home. I love this band and will be back to show some more love & support... Keep me posted boys, I gots da love & do travel. ~ smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment