Sunday, March 6, 2011

MARCH 5, 2011 ~ VERNS POT O CHILI * CANTRELLS

Second 1/2 of my nite ventured to Cantrells to give a listen to Verns pot o Chili.

7 piece band that are made up of:
Jim Allder * Brian Carr * Jason Johans * Ian Lutz * Neil Jones * Dan Freeman * Charles Hatcher.

Formed in 2001 in the great state of West Virginia, Vern’s Pot O’ Chili has since become one of the states leading live acts. The band has performed in every major city in the state and has also made appearances at several festivals and state wide events including the Snowshoe Home Grown Music Festival, Fire on the Mountain Chili Cook-off, Pete Dye Classic (PGA Amateur Tour event), Old Timers Reunion Party, Culturefest, Annual Ridge Stock Festival, Annual WVU Sierra Swing Fundraiser, Annual West Virginia Wiffleball Tournament, Carnegie Hall Benefit Concert (Lewisburg, WV), and the Woodstock Reunion Party. VPOC also regularly performs at several of West Virginia’s top music venues.

Vern’s Pot O’ Chili has an extremely unique mixture of sounds ranging from reggae to bluegrass to hip-hop and funk which has proven time and time again to entice a crowd for the duration of their performances. The band comprises its set lists of mostly original songs, but influences include the styles of Toots and the Maytals, Galactic, Rasta Rafiki, Parliament Funkadelic, The Roots, Bill Withers, and Johnny Cash.

I have heard of Verns for years now just had never actually caught them live and all's I have say about that is 'Where in the eff have I been?'  This band was a REAL treat! Right off the bat I thought Whoa... Big band  on stage had 3 horns, 1 harp, bass, rhythm, lead, kit & a Uke. I began to listen and automatically was in love with this Reggae vibe I was hearin' & feelin'. Big band with a full bodied sound. Verns spit out several ear candy tunes one in particular I loved was an original 'Check Mate' (Big River records). Holy Shiznit was I diggin' this band and by the looks of the dance floor so is every one else. Threw out alittle song by Bill Withers (Use me up) that was (as if I even doubted it by this point) SPOT ON. Just when I thought it could not have possibly gotten any better.... it did. Drummer & Rhthym switched places and kicked it up a notch or three. At this point I could not even get close enough to film but when I heard Dan Freeman's guitar solo... I thought fuck it I've got to get up there and so I did. Missed filming the solo (general disgust) but caught the end of it any who. Freeman said here's alittle something for the ladies... the ladies liked, they like alot!  Verns pot o chili is nothing short of Sensually pleasing to the ear. I actually wished I'd stayed in the ville last nite and finshed up w/ Verns cuz it was all I could do to pull myself away. But I had promised to give a listen to another band in Beckley... and I am a woman of my word. One word bout this band screams out to me... FESTY! I would love to see Verns outside in the sunshine & barefoot. Who knows maybe I'll get that chance this summer. Vern ya gotta another fan.. I'm diggin' the Shiznit outta ya. I will be back fo sho. ~smilin' still.
Vids will follow & will be posted into this Blog as they upload.. stay tuned.
P.s I will apologize now for some of these vids may be a bit "Shakey" as my feet got happy and I could not keep still... forgot the ole' tripod. :/

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150107616159658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150107658944658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150107695379658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150107721444658&comments

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150107738374658&comments

No comments:

Post a Comment